Sunday, November 21, 2010

Turkey Week Begins!

Today is Sunday; now Turkey week has officially begun...this means our 1st of many Thanksgiving dinners happens today and I plan on posting a different, favorite Thanksgiving recipe each day till Thursday finally gets here and all the running can be over with, (yeah right, I wish!), my Thanksgiving travels don't end till the following Sunday.  Hey, what can I say, I've got a huge family and we all love to get together!  The very first recipe I am sharing is my very favorite of all...my Mother-In-Law's Cornbread Dressing...this is the best dressing I have ever tasted!

Gail Maxwell's Infamous Cornbread Dressing
Cornbread Recipe:  (*FYI:  this is my cornbread recipe*)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cream corn
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup cornmeal, white or yellow doesn't matter, but I prefer yellow
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pour all ingredients into a mixing bowl and blend well.  Pour the mixture into a well greased pan.  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.  Set aside and cool.
Dressing Recipe:
2-1/2 cups plus 1/4 cup chicken broth
2 Tbsp sage
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion, diced
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten well
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Saute' onion and celery in olive oil until tender, now add spices and set aside.  Break cooled cornbread into bits and blend in egg and broth (2-1/2 cups) slowly.  Add onion/spice mixture to cornbread mixture and blend.  Press the mixture into a well greased 12" x 9" pan.  Pour the unused broth over the top of dressing (to keep moist) and place in oven to bake for 30 minutes or until brown. 


I am so happy to share my favorite dressing recipe with you all...I have already given it to close friends on numerous occasions, I hope you enjoy this as we have throughout the years.  Happy Baking and Shopping and.....
                                             
                                          Happy Thanksgiving!!

2 comments:

  1. this stuffing sounds really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! My mother-in-law gave it to me a few years back...I have found some shortcuts, but I'll give those to you later, I wouldn't want to take away from her recipe!! ;)

    ReplyDelete