Friday, December 31, 2010

Let Me Count the Ways...

Chicken Mull...ever heard of it???  Well, me neither, till I married into the Maxwell family about 10 years ago and let me tell you, THEY LOVE THE STUFF!  I must say, I'm not a big fan myself, but don't take my word for it, (it's all in my head), I loved it till I saw my Mother-In-Law, Gail, (yes the same woman with the infamous dressing), make it.  When I saw her add ALL that milk, my stomach turned and told me NO MORE OF THAT!  (btw:  I HATE MILK!  LOL!) 
Anyway, back to the issue at hand:  Along with the Mull recipe, I will also give you some other ideas on what to do with it when the mull has run its course and you need something different.  I have went as far as changing it Chicken Noodle Soup, Chicken and Vegetable Soup, and Chicken Pot Pie!  When you make that first pot of Chicken Mull, you make a HUGE pot, (way more than any normal family could ever dream of eating in one night, much less 5 nights!), in other words, there's plenty to go around; for weeks if you want to push it out that long, LOL!  This is a VERY, VERY, VERY cheap meal too!  Did I say very?  haha!  Enjoy!

Chicken Mull

3 whole fryers
water, enough to cover the chicken                              
1 1/2 gallons milk
salt and pepper
hot sauce and crackers, optional
In a large pot add chicken and water.  Bring to a boil and let boil till chicken is thoroughly cooked.  Let broth and birds cool.  Take meat off bones and place back into broth, (discard bones).  Add milk and heat through.  Ladle into bowls and serve with hot sauce and crackers if desired.  Freeze leftover mull in freezer safe containers, adding 6 cups to each.

Chicken Noodle Soup
6 cups leftover chicken mull
2 packs Ramen noodles, crushed
2 cups water
Bring mull to a boil and add noodles, discard seasoning pouches.  Let boil till noodles are tender.  Serve with crackers.

Chicken and Vegetable Soup
6 cups leftover mull
2 cups water
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans, corn)
2 large potatoes, diced
1 medium onion, diced and sauteed
Add all ingredients to large pot and bring to a boil.  Let simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Serve.  There will be about 2 cups leftover, place in refrigerator or freezer for later use.


Chicken Pot Pie
2 cups leftover Chicken and Vegetable Soup
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can puff pastry
In a large mixing bowl, add chicken/veggie soup and cream of chicken, mix together until well blended.  Pour mixture into a greased 13x9 casserole dish. Cover with puff pastry and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven till puff pastry is golden brown.

The original mull cost about $15 to make and the other recipes cost around $5 to make, not bad for a weeks worth of meals, not to mention the 3 containers of mull still waiting in your freezer!  LOL!  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment